There are many different family groups for Azure VMs each with its own purpose. Below is a summary of what can be selected. This is important because for example if you are running complex OLTP database servers then very likely you will go for Memory optimised machines, right? We know SQL server loves RAM. Any ways here is the list:
- A Series – Entry level for dev / test workloads and proof of concepts. Don’t expect great performance but all at low costs (comparing to other series)
- B Series – Burstable VMs These are non-hyper threaded! Useful if you know there is a time ahead where you need a slightly higher CPU ceiling.
- D series – General purpose tier probably the starting point for many projects. There are loads of different configurations possible here with different chipsets such as:
- DV3 – 2.3 GHz Intel® XEON ® E5-2673 v4 (Broadwell)
- DV4 – Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8272CL processor, which runs at a base speed of 2.5Ghz and can achieve up to 3.4Ghz.
- DV5 – Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8370C (Ice Lake)
- Dads v5- AMD EPYC™ 7763v (Milan) processor.
- E series –in memory optimised functions and software like SAP. Again you have access to different chipsets:
- Ed v4 Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8272CL
- ED v5 3rd Generation Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8370C (Ice Lake)
- Eas v4 – AMD EPYC™ 7452
- Eads v5 – AMD EPYC™ 7763v (Milan)
- F series – compute optimised here you can use ntel Xeon® Platinum 8168 (SkyLake) processor, which can achieve clock speeds as high as 3.7 GHz
- H series – very high performing compute
- HB – 120 AMD EPYC™ 7003-series CPU cores, 32 MB of L3 cache per core
- HC – Intel Xeon Platinum 8168 processor cores, 8 GB of RAM per CPU core 3.4ghz
- Ls series – storage optimised direct mapped local NVMe storage AMD EPYC™ 7551 processor with an all-core boost of 2.55 GHZ up to a 3.0 GHz single-core boost. The Lsv2 series VMs offer up to 80 vCPUs
- M series and MV2 Series – if you go with the later for heavy RAM workloads like SAP HANA then you access Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8180M 2.5GHz (Skylake) processors, offering up to 416 vCPU
- N series – GPU optimised for graphic rendering, heavy gaming and deep learning.
- NC NVIDIA’s Tesla V100 GPU.
- Nd – NVIDIA Tesla P40 GPUs.
- NV NVIDIA Tesla M60 GPU.
The N-series are for those engineers, scientists, and graphics artists that need the power to take on the biggest visualization challenges with immersive, interactive,
Lots of choices here, carefully consider your workloads when selecting the VM type.